1. To support recognized aviculturists who are endeavouring to
breed rare and endangered avian species to ensure their future
2. To establish a Canadian breeding centre for rare and endangered
3. To establish a monitoring body for captive avian stocks in
Canada through the use of surveys and computer software.
4. To create and maintain a breeding program throughout Canada for
avian species currently listed as endangered and build up a captive
blood stock in order to breed populations of these birds to be
reintroduced to their natural habitat. Where it is obviously
impractical or impossible to reintroduce birds into the wild due to
ever shrinking habitat, the A.P.F. will fund sanctuaries such as zoos
and bird parks where rare birds can live in a near natural setting and
create more public awareness of the continuing dilemma of endangered
5. To create a captive preservation program for rare and endangered
species within zoo, bird parks and sanctuaries where reintroduction
into the natural habitat is not possible or practical.